CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 06, 2006

FINALLY!!!

I finally have hot water! YAYAYAYAYAYAY!! I got it back yesterday. I took the day off from work yesterday, and the plumbers arrived at 7:30am. They replaced the water heater, which was not a small feat. What made it harder is that there is no outside access to the cellar since there is an addition with a trap door that was built over the bulkhead that led outside. The problem was that the trap door was covered in stuff, and needed to be uncovered. Then the thing had to be wheeled in the front door and through the entire downstairs in the house. The plumbers left with my check for over $500 and said that I should have hot water in about 20 minutes.

I hopped into the car and took my son, Azize to day care so I could get some errands done during the day. I went to Ellsworth, got my car inspected (WAY OVERDUE!), replaced the rear brake light myself, got an oil change, etc. I did meet this one really cool tough guy at the Prompto oil change that was talking about his harley, and then showed me his Winnie the Pooh tattoos! He has every character from Winnie the Pooh tattood on his body. Whadda guy!

I came home, and was ready to hop into the shower, and the water was ice cold. So, I got dressed again and called the plumber. They came back out, and tinkered. They found out that there was a problem with the electrical system. Between the circuit breaker box and the hot water heater is an old fuse box with a switch. It turns out that the switch was broken, and they noticed that it was sparking and starting to smoke as they were tinkering with it. They said that it needs to be replaced ASAP since it was a big fire hazard, but at least they got it working enough to have hot water until the electrician can come out. YIKES! I don't know anything about wiring, but that sounded pretty dang scary!! I called the electrician and they said that they could come out on Monday, and they would call the plumber to see what's up since I can only relate the information in terms like "that box", and "thingie". Well, I didn't actually say thingie, but close.

So I waited around until afternoon for the electrician to come and he replaced the fuse box with a junction box. While they were there, I had them look at the outlet near the sink to see what's wrong with it. It stopped working awhile ago. Now, this is an old outlet, and it's all completely brown. I didn't know it, but it was a GFI outlet. The dang outlet just needed the reset button pressed. The button was the same dang color, and wasn't clearly labeled. I felt so STUPID to have the electrician press the dang reset button! At least I didn't call them to come out just for that!! LOL!

I promise, I'll NEVER take hot water for granted again! I may not have needed the water heater, but at least now I don't have to worry about it going down the road when I don't have the money to fix it! There were old parts on it, and a screw driver so the previous owner may have had to have the old one fixed at least once previously. If I had known it was good, I would have kept it and given it away on freecycle to someone who needed one. Oh Well!

Gwen

0 comments: